Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Nolan's First Christmas

Well, I would have never guessed that we would spend any of our children's first Christmas in a hospital. But WOW. Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh REALLY treats all the kids like gold here on Christmas day. When I walked into Nolan's room this morning there was a BIG bag of gifts for Nolan and also a bag for Riley! The Ronald McDonald house dropped off gifts as well! Between our presents, the hospital, Ronald McDonald, my sister and parents...Riley made out. (and Nolan!) So, we feel very blessed that we all got to be together. Even Matt's parents and Collin came up for the day. Nolan and Riley are very lucky kids.

A quick update on Nolan. He is still doing fantastic! Today is day 72. Everyone is itching because we all know we could get a call at anytime. It is amazing how the staff here becomes a part of your life. They care about us, Nolan...we care about them and all the other families here. What pains me is a family just came in last night. I have had several talks with the dad because he is in shock and disbelief that his 7 month of is suddenly fighting for his life. I reassured him that there's no better place he could be but here. His son had surgery last night and is doing well. I am not sure the dad has slept yet, but, I can see the series of emotions he is dealing with and flashback to those days. We are 5 days shy of hitting our 3 month mark. Seems like yesterday we were being Life Flighted to Hershey. BUT, I feel our journey will be taking a new twist shortly. We still have a LONG road ahead of us, but we are going to make it!

Anyway, I digress. I was talking about Nolan, physically. Tomorrow Nolan will be getting his pic line removed and a Broviac line placed. This is because of the infection he had in his pic line and we will need this following his heart transplant, so they decided to do it now. The line will sit outside of his chest and that is where all his meds will be administered. Maybe we will go home with it? I am not sure of that yet. I am nervous for the procedure just because he has been doing so well. BUT, it is a simple procedure. They will not put him completely under, but give him a good amount of sedation to complete the process. THEN his arms will be FREE! He will love that :)

Well, I am at my parents apartment (hotel) and we are getting ready to eat our Chinese dinner. True Christmas Story fashion. We traditionally do lobsters and steak...MMMMM...I miss the "monsters." (That is what Riley calls them, and so did Megs and I!)

I want to thank everyone who follows our story day in and out. Your love, prayers and support means so much. All of you is what keeps me going on bad days...and even good. I CAN NOT wait to bring you the "NEWS." The anticipation for this is...INTENSE! I am also so excited because one of my best friends, Mel Myers, is due to have a baby ANY DAY! A start to what will be an amazing year for all of us! I can't wait to see 2014 :)

HAPPY HOLIDAYS FROM THE MCLAUGHLIN AND EVERETT FAMILY! AND...ONE MORE DAY CLOSER!!!!!

PS: Matt got me an amazing camera for Christmas. One of our New Years resolutions is to really capture our children's lives so we never forget any of it. So, great pictures to come. (Thank you, Matt...love you!)

#nhos
teamnolan.weebly.com

No comments:

Post a Comment