Friday, November 8, 2013

Super Hero

Believe it or not, my days go pretty fast here. I can't believe it's Friday! I am starting to get anxious because I know I head back home on Sunday. I know Matt takes excellent care of him, but it's hard being apart. I am excited to see my girl, though.

Nolan had a pretty sleepy day today. He is in the midst of sedation change ups, so I think he was extra sleepy today. He had a GREAT night last night. I loved it because when I walked in early this morning, the nurses had him dressed up in a Super Man t-shirt and leggings. I knew when I saw him dressed and sitting up that it must have been a good night! I think we are currently on a good track with sedation. They are weaning the precedex, and the patch that they placed on him yesterday should be starting to kick in. He is still on methadone and Ativan, and Tylenol for his teething/headaches. The teething seems to be a little better. He will actually let you touch his mouth now.

Cardiac wise everything is the same. They raised his heparin level again, and I am not sure if they started that other anticoagulant. The VAD pump looks the same. The clot that is currently there actually looks a little smaller, so that is great news. One of the transplant doctors spoke with me today and said neurology wants them to wait to do a transplant for at least 2 weeks. Sunday will mark one week, so they are saying by next weekend he should be good to go. The transplant/cardiology team wants to try to compromise and say by the middle of next week should everything neurologically remain the same. SO - more on that soon. Let's just hope a heart doesn't come BEFORE then.

He is looking great as far as movement and visual aspects are concerned. Even better than the day before. I worked with him today using the gym, we sat him up a bit and I even held him for about an hour. OH! I changed his diaper today, too. HA! First time since September 30! It's kind of scary with the VAD right there. If anything gets on the VAD or the dressing they have to do a complete dressing change which takes about an hour. Nolan has been known to pee and poop on people. In fact, two days ago I saw him literally shoot poo across his bed. Pretty amazing. I think people will be talking about that for awhile. It's in the notes as a warning. :)

Other than that he had a good day. He seems to be kind of nauseated, he threw up a few times. I think that is due to different sedation meds. Music therapy came by and played the guitar and sang to him for about 30 minutes. I thought it was so cool. I had to hold back tears. For some reason the music made me sappy.

My parents and Matt are on there way. I am excited to see them, hang out with Nolan for a bit and maybe go out to a late dinner. If things continue to go on this course, I think we may be golden. I don't like to get my hopes totally up, but I just have had a comforting feeling lately. So, I had Bob Marley in my head yesterday, and today I put on some Pandora for Nolan...and what was the second song? Bob Marley's Three Little Birds! A sign? I hope?

Everyone - have a great weekend!

ONE MORE DAY CLOSER!

#nhos

1 comment:

  1. I'll always think of him when that song plays now. Love you Cori...thinking about you and your family constantly and praying for Nolan.
    -Maggie

    ReplyDelete