Thursday, November 28, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving!

I hope everyone is having an amazing day with your family and friends! My mom made it here before around noon and she was so thrilled to see Nolan. The last time she saw him was in the CICU and he was still pretty sedated and not really himself. She was shocked how much he is back to his old self! It brought us to the realization how far we have come and how thankful we are where we are today! There were many times I didn't ever think I would see that smile again...or hear his voice, and now I get it all day long! I even change his diapers, console him when he is upset...I get to play "mom" to him again! It feels good.

Nolan is having a wonderful day. He is still on TPN and lipids. They are doing a culture of his stool, so we should find out in 3 days or so whether or not he has an infection. He is on preventative antibiotics just in case. If the labs come back negative they will start the feeds again. Everyone is coming in and raving about how great he looks. "just like a healthy baby if the VAD wasn't there!" Thankful, thankful, thankful.

My mom and I went to a Thanksgiving dinner held here at the hospital for heart families by a family whose son recently received a heart transplant. His name is Jameson and he is now 3. I got to talk with Jameson's mom and hear about their experience the day they received the gift of life up to present day. What a wonderful family dedicating their life to CHD awareness and helping heart families during their stay at Children's. I get it because going through this all you want to do is HELP others after. I want to help people here even when I am going through the same thing. I think it's because we all feel so helpless. All of these heart families inspire me and I look forward to giving back when we are in our next chapter of life. Check out "Jameson's Army." http://www.jamesonsarmy.org/ Thank you for the dinner Danielle and Patrik and the board of directors of Jameson's Army!

I wanted to dedicate today's post to a few young entrepreneurs.

First are Brenna and Paige Rosenbaum. Their parents are good friends of ours, Scott and Amy Rosenbaum. We watched Brenna grow up, saw Paige take her first steps and they have given us all their girls clothes for Riley. We share similar experiences because both Brenna and Paige were preemies like Nolan. When the girls heard Nolan was sick, they told their parents they wanted to do something for him. Brenna spent hours making yellow and gold bracelets with a red heart in the middle representing Steel City and Nolan's heart. The girls would sit outside of their house for hours selling bracelets. Scott and Amy didn't even ask them to do anything, they acted on their own.

Last, but certainly not least, Miss Kailee Helmrich. We have season tickets at Penn State and are a part of a large tailgate (THE BEST TAILGATE!) There are a so many wonderful people associated with our tailgate, one being Kailee Helmrich, daughter of Chris and Tiffani Helmrich. Kailee also found a love and connection to Nolan and wanted to do something for him. She taught herself how to make bracelets and before a PSU game she made a bunch of them, blue and white to represent our favorite team, and sold them fellow tailgaters. She spent time to make signs and even write us a very nice letter expressing how much she wants Nolan to get better and live a happy life.

It is so heart-warming to see young kids selflessly do things for others. I don't think they understand the impact it has on me or my family, but it brings tears to my eyes how much they truly care! I think these sort of acts of kindness need to be emulated more amongst young kids, especially with all the bullying you hear about these days. These girls GREATLY helped us and my little boy. More then they will ever know. And we thank them so much, and their amazing families.

WELL, my mom is on the way back from the airport with my sister. We are going to hang with Nolan and then go watch the Steelers game somewhere. I am excited to be with my ladies!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I hope you all are stuffed and enjoying the day!

ONE MORE DAY CLOSER!

#nhos
http://nolanheartofsteel.blogspot.com/
http://teamnolan.weebly.com/
BWW Fundraiser December 4

1 comment:

  1. Your courage is inspiring; your thankfulness gratifying;and from North Carolina, I wish you and your family the very best for Nolan. I hope his new heart comes soon and your life will return to normal once again. Your blogs are a constant reminder to me to give thanks for my many blessings...especially on this Thanksgiving Day.

    ReplyDelete