Monday, November 25, 2013

Chatter Box

I walked into Nolan's room around 7:45 am this morning, and he woke up with a smile and chatted to me like he had just came back from Disney World. He was bubbly, animated and himself. It is so nice to see because I can remember those times when I promised the nurses in the CICU that this boy really does smile and is a happy little man. Well, it showed today. And it's times like these I don't want to forget that smile or babble because we do have another major surgery in the near future (the heart transplant) where he will be intubated again and we will have to work our way back to these happy days.

Now, he still has some agitation. All the nurses seem to think it's still the teething. No teeth have popped out yet, but I felt and his gums feel swollen and hot! (Not sure if that makes sense, but I compare that to the feeling of radiating pain.) They have given him some doses of Tylenol, which does seem to put him at ease. I think the big items from today are that he got his VAD dressing changed, he had to have a blood transfusion because his H and H levels (hemoglobin and hematocrit) were down and he got a bath! He was pretty angry after his dressing changes, so we skipped PT. I plan to have him up more tomorrow. The reason for the blood transfusion may be due to lab draws.

I still have such paranoia about this waiting period until the heart comes. I am constantly looking at him for any changes, particularly looking for any signs of stroke. They do monitor him closely, but naturally my fear is there. I did have an amazing moment with him today. He was having one of his cranky moments, which is always hard for a parent to watch because you just want to pick them up and hold them. Nolan has ALWAYS been a snuggly little man, so as I was patting my belly I laid my head next to his and was trying to calm him. He started to ease and then we began our staring contest. He was looking right into my eyes, almost studying the features on my face. Then I gave him a little smile, and he gave a little smile back at me. I will never forget it. I told him we'll get through this...you help me, and I will do whatever I can to help you.

Well, it looks like they are calling for snow around here tomorrow into Wednesday. I am so thankful that the Ronald McDonald house is hooked right to the hospital! Such a wonderful convenience! I hope everyone had a good first day of the week. It's a short week for most! I know I am looking forward to seeing my family!

ONE MORE DAY CLOSER!

#nhos
http://teamnolan.weebly.com/
Save the Date

No comments:

Post a Comment