Thursday, November 7, 2013

Gonna Be Alright

A quick post as we slowly creep into the weekend. I have a dinner date tonight with my best friend from college, Alisa. I am excited to get out because I have been here all week and I was only going to leave if Nolan was having a decent day...and he is!

Nothing really new to report (which is good!) His agitation was bad again overnight, so during rounds this morning they basically discussed what they can do to make sure he is comfortable. So, they made some sedation changes, some that will not take effect until tomorrow or the next. But, nevertheless, he seems much more comfortable today. I hope the night is the same story.

Neurologically speaking he is doing well. They did an ultrasound of his head today to compare with the CT scan to see if they are able to monitor the bleed. I did not hear anything from that, so everything must look OK. Physical therapy was so happy with his progress today. He was able to track movement, moved his head to the right and was playful. Nolan's flirting skills were on ultimate high, he was smiling and winking at the therapist. I think he likes the fact that they play with him and don't poke and prod him like the nurses.

On the cardiology side of things, he had an EKG done today. I heard nothing negative and I go by the "no news is good news," so everything must have looked OK. They raised his heparin level again and also, tonight, added another anticoagulation medication. Slow and steady climbing seems to be working, so that is what they plan on continuing. He does have a very small amount of build up in the pump of the VAD, but that was expected for the low levels of anticoagulation he is receiving. So, they will just continue to monitor closely. A VAD mechanic is in here hourly checking on the pump.

I got some smiles today, which ALWAYS brightens my day. I feel like we are sliding into a good weekend. He started some of those new sedation meds which should start working by tomorrow/Saturday, so hopefully he stays happy and calm. AND hopefully the anticoagulation levels continue to rise so we are ready for a heart when it comes. There have been two transplants done here in the past week or so (so I hear). The word is that they come in bundles, so maybe our time is coming soon! Not too soon, of course. Give us a week and I think he would be ready! Once we are close and I know we are ready for a heart, I will go more into that process. I hear it is like Christmas morning as a kid. I already get butterflies in my stomach thinking about it.

Tomorrow is Friday and I get to see Matt! Also, my parents are coming, so I look forward to seeing them, maybe getting out a little. I just have a good feeling today. I have a little Bob Marley playing in my head, "Every little thing, gonna be alright!"

I hope everyone is as ready for the weekend as I am! Keep sending those prayers!

ONE MORE DAY CLOSER!

#nhos

1 comment:

  1. thinking of you all ..safe travels to everyone ..my girls went to college in Pittsburgh .Pitt vs Notre Dame saturday ..go Pitt .NIck Altebrando

    ReplyDelete