Sunday, November 3, 2013

Bumpy Roads

I expected to do today's post about Beads of Courage because I thought I wouldn't have much to talk about. I have a few topics on the back burner to use as filler for those boring days. But, leave it to Nolan, he keeps most days pretty interesting.

Where to start. We have noticed that Nolan has been looking to the left more so than the normal. It started a few days ago, we addressed it yesterday and he was going to get a CT scan tomorrow. He gets CT scans every so often to make sure that there's no hemorrhaging or clots forming. Well, they decided to do the CT scan today because Monday's are typically pretty busy, and people were in today. The results came back showing that Nolan has bleeding on the back left part of his brain which looks pretty new. The scan also showed that Nolan has suffered from a stroke near where the current bleed is at. This looks to have happened maybe Wednesday/Thursday. Because of all that they had to stop all anticoagulation therapies in hopes to stop this new bleed.

The past few days his VAD pump has been experience some build up and they have been treating that with anticoagulation meds. It's a balancing act. Because we have to stop the meds for the temporally they decided to put on a new pump. That was done today. They are keeping a close eye on the VAD while off the anticoagulation. He has another CT scan tonight at 8 pm and one at 6 am to see if the bleeding has subsided. Tomorrow or the next day they may start back on the anticoagulation therapies depending on the readings.

A doctor Matt and I work with who has worked in Critical Care Medicine said it best - being it an ICU is like being on a roller coaster - you have your ups and downs. I knew that we would be faced with some challenges, but when things are going so well, you hope and pray that maybe...just maybe we'll get lucky and things will stay on a steady course. Life is funny. I do believe people pave their way towards the life they want to live. But honestly, I think there is also some luck involved. Poor Nolan just got dealt a bad hand. I feel incredibly helpless and bad for him. But, I have confidence in Nolan. He has proven his strength and I feel he can overcome these rough situations. Already since they stopped the Heparin we have noticed him looking to the right more. I am anxious for the CT scan to see if there's been any improvement.

While he is off the anticoagulation therapies, if a heart did come they would not accept it. In order to have a successful transplant, he needs to be on full anticoagulation therapies because he will be placed on a bypass machine. This is just way too risky for him as the chances of him having a severe stroke is high. BUT, once we start the Heparin he will be ready. I think all the doctors are ready for this heart to come. I know we are, too.

So, we need extra prayers and positive vibes tonight! Matt has decided to stay through the evening, then he will probably head back home in the morning. I am happy because I know I need him here right now.

We are hoping that tomorrow we start fresh and that the bleeding as subsided and we can continue to move closer to receiving the Gift of Life!

#nhos

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to her today was a rough day. But you all have made it through and now you are back on the road. I pray for a great scan tomorrow and for the meds to be started again. I pray a new heart comes quickly and the surgery goes with no complications. Love you all, Aunt Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cori - You and your family are always in my thoughts. Especially that beautiful little Nolan. I hope the scan tomorrow goes well, the meds can be started and his new heart becomes available at the perfect time. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If there's a going to be a rollercoaster ride then I'm sure you are all buckled up for the ride with Nolan. Nolan could not have a better Mom, Dad, family and friends to be there by his side for the ride.... Sending some prayers of healing & strength for Nolan, prayers for Nolan's mom and dad to help them through the roller coaster ride and prayers for Riley too...

    ReplyDelete