Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Tube Out and a Good Night

Good morning!

For those who have just viewed this blog for the first time, you can view my past posts about Nolan's condition at http://www.carepages.com/carepages/NEMcLaughlin. I am going to continue to update both this blog and the CarePage because my work family at Susquehanna Health can't access this site.

We just got done rounding with the doctors. Nolan has had a good (almost) 24 hours. He got his breathing tube removed around 11 am yesterday. He responded well to it and we all felt good. This was a HUGE step for us. If he would not have successfully supported himself without the breathing tube it would have been pretty much a sure sign that Nolan was in need of a heart transplant.

So, feeling very happy and positive, Matt and I went out to lunch (outside of the hospital). We started discussing who was going to go home first because we plan on alternating weeks here so that one of us is home with Riley and one is here with Nolan. Having made the decision, we called my dad and told him to hit to road, that one of us was coming home. Then, we got a phone call from our nurse that Nolan was not responding well and they were going to have to place the breathing tube back in. Matt and I immediately ran out of the restaurant (we did pay our bill).

Getting here, my prayers were answered on my way back to the hospital - the tube was not in. He had an episode where his breathing was very wheezy and his skin was mottled, kind of representing a cardiac issue. But the doctor said it didn't really make sense because his blood gases were great and his chest X-ray was pretty clear. So, what happened? We really aren't sure, but he did self-correct and has been fine since. SO - we are currently tube-free! I didn't leave his side all night. I couldn't bear to leave him again and get another scary phone call.

On the agenda for today...

Now that he is doing well without the breathing tube and currently is receiving oxygen through a cannula tube in his nose, they are starting to wean and adjust his meds. They have also decreased the amount of oxygen they are supplying to him so he begins to work more on his own. Once some meds are weaned, we will begin bottle feeding. I can tell he is hungry - he is eating his hands. I was even told we may be able to hold him today!

We are hopeful for another good day with little to no scary surprises. We are not out of the woods, by any means, but we are managing, and that is what is important right now. I think the doctors and nurses are pleasantly surprised thus far.

Future plans - as of now ONE of us will be coming home Sunday. I am thinking it will be Matt as he wants to get back to the office and we also are finally getting our garage construction underway (another crazy story I won't even get into).

Thank you ALL for the prayers and strength! They are working - truly. I can feel the love and energy.

To another step forward...
Cori

4 comments:

  1. How I love that sweet baby boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's looking good! Keep fighting there, little man. Sending lots of love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT idea for the blog. I think about you as we go about our day and keep putting our prayers in. We LOVE you Nolan (momma and dadda too :) God Bless you guys). Keep fighting big guy :) you have quite the team pulling for you!!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. It just brought tears to my eyes to see you to hold Nolan. It must have done your heart good to have him your arms if only for a few minutes. We are always thinking of you and prayer for Nolan.

    Love you, Sharon and Matt

    ReplyDelete