Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Feeling Human Again

You know when you wake up and you know it's going to be a good day? That was how I felt this morning. First off, I slept from 11 pm until 6:30 am...straight through, without waking up. I actually felt like I could think straight today. My work life is getting straighten back out, my house is as together as it can be for the moment and, most importantly, Mr. Nolan had a great night. I spoke with Matt early this morning and the nurses told him that he did a breathing trial during the night and he did great!

After rounds they decided that if a morning breathing trial went well they were going to move forward with removing the breathing tube. Well, things continued to do well so they moved forward with the tube removal and he was successful! They watched him closely through the rest of the day, and as each hour passed, he proved that he was strong enough to breath on his own. He does have a nasal cannula providing o2, which they have already weaned from 7 to 5. They will continue to decrease the pressure as the next few days pass.

Not only was the vent removed, but his draining tube from his chest was also removed since no fluid has drained for the past 2 days. Having two different items removed from his body just lessens his chances for any infections, so this is all great news!

They continue to change his sedation as they shift away from the Precedex. To help with some of his agitation they have been using Benedryl, and this has shown to have made a big difference. I believe tomorrow they are going to adjust his feeding tube. I will hear more about that in the morning. In the pictures I have included you can see a white object in his mouth. This is actually his feeding tube that he has managed to push forward with his tongue. Little stinker.

Today has probably been one of our best days since September 30. Progress feels so great! I just have to remember that there are still bumps ahead, but I just know we can't give up. He is amazingly strong and motivates me to stay strong. If he can get through this past month, we all can get through anything.

To end the good day, Riley and I spent the evening seeing some of my amazing friends. It was nice to see their faces and finally hug them! Better yet, in less than two days I get to see Matt and my baby boy (and Aunt Megan!) As bad of a situation we are in, I do feel like a lucky person to have a great husband, a beautiful daughter, strong son, supportive family and amazing friends!

ONE DAY CLOSER TO MEETING NOLAN'S NEW HEART!

Keep those prayers coming!

#nhos

2 comments:

  1. Thinking of you guys everyday, stay strong!
    Sara Gawecki Ferguson

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started a blog about my own journey with my special needs daughter. This is very touching and you are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete