Tuesday, October 22, 2013

A Hopeful Day

I am definitely not one who has ever had problems sleeping, but last night was worse than Sunday. Hopefully a little Tylenol PM will help me stay comfortably asleep tonight. I really need it both mentally and physically!
 
Update from Steel City:
 
Matt said Nolan was showing signs of overall improvement today. He was presenting a slight fever over the past few days, however his temperature has since lowered. Also, the weaning of sedation is going slowly, but smoothly. He is still on the vent, however only at 10 breathes a minute when yesterday I believe he was at 20. They decided to keep his intubated because late last night he showed mild fluid build up in the right lung again. They think it was because his draining tube was clogged. This morning they started a medicine that helped clear the blockage. After an X-ray that was taken this evening it showed that his lung looked much better and the tube was doing its job! SO, if he does well over the night and tomorrow morning's X-ray looks good, he should be good to extubate!
 
The doctors, nurses and Matt all think he looks better than he has in the previous days. He is pretty coherent and Matt says he interacts with him with little agitation. All of this proves favorable that the weaning process of sedation is going well and extubation should be seamless. They do think he still has a small bleed from the VAD placement. This is probably because of the Heparin, which acts as an anticoagulation medication for the pump. So, just another adjustment to certain medications. All of this is like putting a complex puzzle together!
 
Tonight I had another night at home hanging with Riley and mostly trying to get organized. I have so much to go through, fall clothes to get out (both myself and organize Riley's) and get a bunch of items together before the weekend. My sister is flying into Pittsburgh on Saturday and my mom and I will drive out Friday. I will be in Muncy again next week.
 
I am hoping to have a good rest of the week. These first two days have been pretty tough. More of a reality check than anything. I think the worst part of the day is driving home from work because I just pray I pull into my driveway and back into my normal life. I am ready for Nolan to make a BIG improvement (like - getting that breathing tube pulled!) However, I want them to take their time and do things right, of course!
 
Hoping to bring you all some good middle-of-the-week news! Looking forward to seeing some of my wonderful friends tomorrow night! :)
 
ONE MORE DAY CLOSER TO MEETING NOLAN'S NEW HEART.
 
Have a good night and a great day!
 
#nhos

1 comment:

  1. May God bless you with a deep sleep and comfort in knowing he is holding your hand through this difficult time.
    Hugs and love....praying and praying

    ReplyDelete