Saturday, October 12, 2013

Sleepy Saturday

Well, nothing really new to report today. We are focusing on keeping Nolan comfortable because he is still very agitated, causing his heart rate to go pretty high. So, I have been sitting by him with Pandora on listing to the Rockabye Baby station (awesome, by the way) and it definitely has Nolan at ease.

Tomorrow is the big day for Nolan in his step towards receiving a new heart. He will get the ventricular assist device (VAD) placed at 9 am. THEN - he will officially be listed on the heart transplant list and our waiting process will begin. After being placed on the VAD you will begin to see Nolan actually looking like his old self! After some recovery time we will actually be taken out of CICU and placed on a standard cardiac floor.

I will go more into the whole transplant process some other time - it is pretty long and drawn out. I am really just expecting us to be here for the next 4-6 months. Matt and I will do the alternating weeks - I may stay home more than him since he has FMLA time. ANYWAY, luckily we both can do a portion of our jobs remotely.

I wanted to focus my post today on some positive stuff! Last night we had a great dinner with Blaine, Matt's little brother. It was nice to get out and have some laughs. It really is important to remove yourself from all of this because it can wear on you. I already think I have aged about...10 years...hahaha. BUT, anything for my little man.

Some other good news...one of my best friends from high school, Kristin (Scullin) Collins had her baby on October 10. Her and her husband, Jon, were blessed with a beautiful baby girl named Brooke Elise Collins. She was 7 pounds 9 ounces and 20.5 inches long. She definitely looks like her mama!

One of my long time friends, Maggie, and her husband, Bryan, adopted a baby girl over a year ago. Katelyn Mary Davis was born on August 30, 2012 and yesterday they finalized the adoption! So along with Baby Kate's birthday, October 11 will also be a very special day for them here on out - their adoption day. Congrats!!

My mom is taking the week off next week and is going to stay with me here. I am glad she will be here to keep my company and hang out with our baby boy. We'll have some good mother/daughter time (wine, bad magazines and shopping).

Tonight we are going to head over to Rob and Alisa Zisman's to watch the Penn State game (WE ARE!); I am looking forward to some good food, a good game and hanging with Baby Enzo.

So, I know Matt and I (and my family) are going through probably one of the worst times in our life, but I don't want to think of this as a negative situation. I would never give up my baby boy for anything in the world. Tomorrow Nolan will receive the VAD and actually feel like a normal baby. Who knows if he ever has had that. So, that is positive. And, now our prayers will be focused on waiting for his new heart.  When we do receive his new heart it will also be a sad day for me because I will know that someone else lost a young child and graciously let a piece of them live on in my son. I will be eternally thankful to those people. Matt and I were talking the other night and we reminded ourselves that there is really so much good going on for many of our friends and family...it truly makes us happy. Nolan is lucky to be surrounded by so many great people and he is going to have an amazing life! Today is Nolan's 6 month birthday - and I am hoping the rest of his life is much more comfortable...starting tomorrow!

OK - enough with that. :) I hope everyone has a great day. GO PENN STATE! I will update tomorrow after Nolan's first big step towards some normalcy. Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers!

Love,
Cori

2 comments:

  1. keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers for a successful procedure tomorrow and for making big strides towards getting ready for the "call" that will help baby Nolan live a long, great life! truly admire your strength during this difficult time, you are both amazing parents! ~Tara~

    p.s. we are! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Nolan, You are in our prayers sweetie... Sending our Love, Miranda & Theresa

    ReplyDelete