Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Two More Nights! (CORRECTION! 3 More Nights)

Ahhhh - I still can't believe we are all going to be home TOGETHER in 3 days! Our family will be one again. I hope we never have to be apart for this long again. Matt and I have not spent a full week together since October 13. That was the day that Nolan was placed on the ventricular assist device. I hope we still like each other! HA!

In all honesty, I am a little sad to leave Pittsburgh. I wish I could see every doctor, surgeon, nurse and therapist that has been with us through this entire journey and thank them. It is because of them that Nolan is here today. I remember one of the first night's at CHP when Nolan wasn't doing well, Dr. Domnina, one of the directors in the CICU, came up to me and gave me a big hug. She told me that I needed to get out of the CICU and that Matt and I should take some time to ourselves and have a moment to let life settle. She assured me Nolan was going to be OK, that she wouldn't take her eyes off of him and she would see me in the morning (basically, she kicked us out!) That meant so much to me and will stay with me forever. That hug will stay with me. It was the first moment that I knew he was on thin ice and a moment that I knew that Dr. Dominina cared. I knew she and her staff would do all they could to keep Nolan with us.

So many different memories that I will keep forever. We  have changed these past 6 months. I am pretty sure that Matt and I have mental scars that will never fade, but all around, I think our change is for the better. I know I have learned so much about myself and even about Matt, who I have been with for 8 years. I do think it has made us stronger as people and as a couple - and I know I will cherish life a little more...never take the little things in life for granted! (like changing 3 blow out diapers daily...maybe even 4)

Nolan had a good day. He is teething like crazy, so that did add some crankiness to the day. Pretty much our morning went the same as before (I like routine!) Around 12:45 pm I had a visit from a couple people from UPMC's marketing department. They interviewed me about my all around experience at CHP. One of them was a videographer, so that made it interesting! I am pretty sure I babbled away, so...stay tuned for that! During the taping Ashley, Ollie's mom, brought us a delicious lunch from an amazing Chinese restaurant in Bloomfield (near the hospital) So, after marketing left we got to catch up quick and eat, then Nolan and I were off to speech therapy. Unfortunately I think he was sleepy during therapy, but it was good to talk with the therapist about what our goals were, follow up care at home and things to practice. He actually drank a little from a sippy cup, so that is exciting!

After therapy I roamed the hospital a bit. I stopped up on 8a to say good-bye to some of my favorite nurses. We will miss them all! And then I went do to the CICU to visit with Ashley, Trevor and Ollie. He is still continuing to hold steady. No seizure activity the entire day, so that is good. The tiniest of steps of improvement means the world! I think about Ollie every minute and pray he continues on with baby steps towards recovery.

Well, Nolan is in bed, and I am going to follow. We have early morning labs, AND he will probably get me up early, again! Acclimating back to life with a baby! I love it more than I ever have...ever.

#nhos

2 comments:

  1. What blessings you have! Thank sweet Jesus for your care and healing of dear Nolan, for the love, patience, and courage of his parents, for the childlike faith and simplicity of Riley's prayers and love, for all his family and friends who lifted him up to you. You are indeed are the great physician and forever will we praise you for your goodness, mercy, and love. May each new day reveal His continual presence in your life. Turn to him in every joy and every fear and He will lift you up and hold you in the palm of his hand. God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your opinion. I value your honesty and will respond as quickly as possible.

    ReplyDelete