Sunday, March 9, 2014

Last Weekend at CHP (Hopefully!)

Another nice weekend comes to an end. Nolan is doing so well, I have just been enjoying every moment with him! He is so awake and happy. We have come so far. I went down to the CICU last night to visit Ollie (who is doing well) and that was the first I have been back there since Nolan left after transplant. Being there brought back those feelings we had while in the CICU and made me see how far we have come. Our journey as inpatient at CHP is soon coming to an end.

An update on that!

We will NOT be discharged tomorrow. Nolan is currently receiving a 6 week course of antibiotics via IV, and he only has 4 more days left. With that said, Dr. Miller (one of our transplant physicians) thinks it would be best for us to just stay here until that is complete. The infusions are every 6 hours, it's another piece of equipment we would have to go home with and he has to get his antirejection levels checked daily because of the antibiotics (I think), so it just makes sense for us to stay until Wednesday. We are OK with it and if we wanted to leave they would have let us. I agree with Dr. Miller in that leaving towards the end of next week will make our lives easier. He may get his picc line removed soon after the antibiotic course is complete!

SO - I have a few more days to prep for Nolan to be released. I will clean the apartment, go shopping for food so I don't have to worry about leaving, set up his med regimen and get some good SLEEP. We are SO close to going home, I can't believe it. BUT, I have to keep my eye on today and not get too ahead of myself.

Matt and I had a really nice weekend. Friday night we had an amazing dinner at Eleven. It was the first time that just the two of us have been out to a nice restaurant for awhile. We kind of felt like it was a celebratory meal. Saturday I spent the entire day with Nolan. He was seriously up for most of the day. He is starting to take about 2 naps a day - that is it! They have weaned off most of the sedation meds, so he is definitely more alert. I am trying to take notice to his sleep patterns so I can try to get him on a decent schedule. (HA!)

Overall, a weekend with no complaints! Only one is that I miss Riley dearly. The day that all four of us are together OUTSIDE of this hospital will be a day I will never forget.

#nhos
http://amybrinkphotography.pixieset.com/nolanchp/

1 comment:

  1. I assume this is Dr. Susan Miller. Shes a good family friend of mine and I'm friends/neighbors with the Daugherty's. So glad to see how Nolan's story is progrressing and excited for your family of 4 to finally be home together!
    Angela Mamrak

    ReplyDelete