Sunday, February 2, 2014

A Message From Matt (Nolan's Dad)

A brief blog of a different nature on Super Bowl Sunday/Groundhog’s Day. Guest writing for Cori will be her husband Matt (currently referencing himself in the third person). While Cori sits fixated on the commercials, which are the only truly interesting part of this evening’s game, I’ll do my best to bring everyone up to speed on our family’s day. 

I began this morning feeling just a bit rough around the edges after a fantastic evening with many friends at the Nolan Heart of Steel charity golf outing. The event at Frosty Valley Country Club was well attended and incredibly fun. There were several lessons learned including the following:
  1. When chipping onto a frozen green one need not fix a divot, rather he must find his ball which has surely ricocheted into the surrounding snow drift.
  2. EMT’s become necessary when performing acts of charity such as polar plunges in a man’s thirties. Come to think of it EMTs might have been advisable in the preceding decade as well for many of the attendees including myself.
  3.  Speedos on a man should never be worn even in ideal conditions for the sake of dignity. Leaps into a frozen pond in February incidentally are not ideal conditions.
All joking aside, the day and evening were wonderful. Much of the past four months have been spent in relative isolation in Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh. I found my spirits raised to see so many old friends and to think that these people were a part of the home we were working to bring Nolan back to. Cori and I find ourselves without the proper words to thank so many people for caring about us. To see all of the efforts that were made for this event on our behalf reminds us of how truly blessed we are to have the friends we’ve made. I speak from the heart when I say that I’m a bit overwhelmed. I can’t thank the organizers and attendees of last night adequately. Of note I’d like to highlight Jon and Carrie Littlewood, Matt and Lindsey Gale, Pete and Steph Zenzel, and finally Steve and Andrea Lowe. There are many others as well, frankly more than we have space to reference here, but suffice it to say we are grateful to you all beyond words. We love you all, and are humbled by the genuine outpouring of support for Nolan and our family. 
While we were enjoying golf, plunging and dinner Cori and Nolan were moving. They left the CICU, hopefully for the final time, on Saturday afternoon. They moved into the Acute Care Unit where Nolan will complete his inpatient care. After an uneventful night Nolan has enjoyed his best day since arriving in Pittsburgh. He has showed continued improvements clinically on his echocardiogram and EKG. In purely non clinical news he has smiled several times for the first time since his transplant. He looks wonderful, and I
think that both Cori and I can begin to look at the small light at the end of the tunnel. Truly an encouraging day for Nolan, and a major step towards leaving CHP.
In summation a trial like this can wear you down. It can make you feel depressed, and it can shake the very foundations of your value system. All along the goal has been to bring Nolan home. We’ve never waivered in that, however yesterday was a reminder of what type of home we’re fighting to give him. We live in a wonderful place where we are lucky enough to be surrounded by some of the most amazing friends and family a person could hope for. I can’t wait to introduce our son to the many people who have supported him in his hour of need. Yesterday was incredible, and it brings to light the fact that we cannot be open enough about our true appreciation for all of you. It’s touching in a deeply personal way. Thank you all so much, as Nolan enters the home stretch of his recovery your support has been invaluable in keeping Cori and I strong by his side. You make us want to be better parents and friends. We admire you all tremendously.

5 comments:

  1. You're both amazing parents. We are all in awe of the strength and love you put forth everyday and how you openly share this journey with is all. You inspire us and we are so thankful that you share Nolan with us. God bless you all. ~ Lisa English

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is such and honor and very humbling to know you Matt. Nolan is so blessed to have such wonderful parents. Thanks for sharing this journey with us. May God continue to richly bless you and your family. :P~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I do not know you or Cori personally I check facebook eagerly early every morning while my baby daughter finishes her night of sleep. Garth has legally advised my family for many years. During one conversation as I sat with him milling over what seemed like a major life altering issue, he told me "a person can lead many lives in a life time." I refer back to his comment every time I am faced with a decision that holds life changing possibilities. Today i wish all of your family the best of luck as you move in to the next life you will be leading. We are all rooting for you. Your tribulations have impacted many of us although we are unaquainted. Xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such a strong family, although I'm sure that at times that is a true challenge. Imagine all the parents that have had to endure similar situations- my heart and prayers go out to all of them. I 'm sure you witnessed first hand those heart wrenching situations. I have been keeping Nolan and your family in my thoughts and prayers, and now witnessing progression in his recovery. Praise God! Keep the updates coming, and one day you will all be enjoying resting and relaxing in your home with that sweet boy. Roberta Heyler-Johnston

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's terrific Matt. I have been following Nolan's plight and progress. As well, I have prayed for him and asked others to do so as well. Looking forward to meeting Nolan when you bring him home. I can't imagine how trying these months have been.

    ReplyDelete