Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Welcome, 2015!

It amazes me how quickly time passes!  I always have intentions to post AT LEAST once a week, then all of a sudden two months has past. I blame the holiday madness :)

Where to start? First off, Nolan is doing great and is now (almost) 21 months old! He has graduated from fast crawling to now (clumsy) running. YES! We have a solid walker. The eating is still going wonderfully and he has a big boy appetite. He truly enjoys FOOD (which is something I battle with Riley!) We are now teaching him how to use utensils to eat, which he is not a total fan of, but is catching on.

Verbally he is starting to say some words and is super chatty. His recent word is "stinky," which is probably because I say it to him often :) I feel like his verbal skills are starting to come together and things are starting to make sense. His inflections sounds like he has something to tell you, and it's super cute. Common words: Dada (of course!), Mama, dog, bye-bye, bath, more...just to name a few. I also have been told he says "Gina" which is his physical therapist. HA! He does make crazy sounds like rolling his tongue and has a language of his own. Someday it will all make sense!

Physically our occupational and physical therapist work on gross motor activities like passing a ball, switching items from one hand to another, sensory development, etc. He loves to throw a ball and pick it up...throw it again, pick it up. Recently he found interest in Riley's little play kitchen and enjoys annoying her while she is playing with her doll house. He definitely knows when he is getting a rise out of his older sister whether it is pulling her hair or purposely getting it her way. Riley has learned to handle it better than she did in the past. Let's just say, there may have been some pushing and shoving in the past. Sibling rivalry...gotta love it! We are working hard at being consistent with both. Even though Nolan is so precious and sweet, he is a little boy looking to cause trouble and needs some discipline!

Nolan is truly just a sweet little man. He is turning into a toddler right before our eyes and it is a blessing to see. When I look at him it's not who I was looking at a year ago...even 6 months ago. He is exactly what I expected my son to look like the day he was born a "perfectly healthy" baby...even having been born 6 weeks early! Looking back I remember our wonderful transplant coordinator (who has recently moved on to a new job and is sorely missed!) would tell me, "I promise, your life will be "normal" (and yes, she did use air quotes because really, what is "normal?") again someday. He will be a healthy, happy kid!" And she is right. Thank you, Alice, you were right!

Coming up! Nolan was scheduled to have his routine biopsy right before Christmas, however he came down with a minor cold and ear infection. We are now scheduled for Friday, January 30. It is hard to believe that Nolan's first heart-day is quickly approaching on January 24. Emotionally things are still tough, but I learn to just swallow that lump in my throat and move forward. Little things bring you back to some of those hard days that we went through or even just sitting in the CICU experiencing all that is happening right before your eyes. I won't lie that sometimes I get a good cry out in my car or in the shower. But, it actually feels good getting it out from time to time. I guess it is part of the emotional healing process.

New Year's resolution? To start updating more! Also, to start a plan to give back to other family members withing our community who has a child that is critically ill and experiencing a similar situation that we did. The support we have received (and continue to) from our community has been OVERWHELMING! I wish I could personally thank everyone or write a letter of thanks. You are all truly a huge reason why we are where we are today. Beyond thankful and blessed...not a day goes by where I don't think that.

SO, here's to hoping I can post weekly! It may not be a lot content, but I will be sure to incorporate pictures of our heart warrior. I can't say it enough...thank you all for the continued prayers, love and support!

#nhos

1 comment:

  1. Corrine, I am so glad to hear that Nolan is doing so well. My son Mason is a TOFer that was on ECMO for almost a month. We are unable to communicate with him as he does not form words or use sign. We have been working with him on sign language but no success. We have Occupational, Speech, and Physical therapies everyday of the week. Mason just turned 2 in November and just started walking. I know first hand how emotional the transistion from hospital life and living on the edge to "normal" home life can be. If you would ever like to chat I'm right in Milton and in your area a lot. Or you can catch me on Facebook. Here is to much improvement with Nolan in 2015. Much love, Fellow heart mom, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete